NOTES FROM THIS UPDATE:
1. In this update, there were just a couple of quick swaps in the bracket. Typically I do a new bracket each night from scratch, but sometimes Mondays and Fridays are the exception to that rule. Syracuse drops to a four seed, but the team replacing the the Orange is Louisville from the same conference. The Cardinals even get the advantage to playing in the East because Georgetown, my second highest three seed, cannot play in Washington D. C. because they are hosting.
2. Villanova is still in despite losing to Seton Hall in the closing seconds. Four wins over the top 30 in the RPI keep the Wildcats in. Villanova does move into the First Four now though.
3. Kansas and Arizona are battling for the last No. 2 seed in my bracket. Even after an incredible comeback with to knock off Iowa State, I cannot put Kansas over Arizona on my seed list. Remember, the Wildcats have wins over Florida and Miami (FL), both teams I project to be No. 1 seeds. That has to matter.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- This is a projection of the NCAA Tournament if the SEASON ENDED TODAY. This does not predict future games.
- There ARE a couple of discrepancies between my s-curve rankings and where the teams are seeded. Teams can be moved to keep the selection committee from creating a procedural error.
- Teams that cannot play in specific regions/locations this season: Georgetown (East), IUPUI (Midwest), and Pepperdine (West), Oakland (Auburn Hills), Kentucky (Lexington), Utah (Salt Lake City), Texas (Austin) and Temple (Philadelphia), BYU (any Thursday/Sunday sites).
- Teams that are ineligible for the tournament: Connecticut (Big East), Arkansas Pine-Bluff (SWAC), Jacksonville State (OVC), Mississippi Valley State (SWAC), UNC Wilmington (CAA), Texas A&M Corpus Christi (Southland), Toledo (MAC), Towson (CAA) and UC-Riverside (Big West).
NOTABLE TEAMS RISING: Louisville, Marquette
NOTABLE TEAMS FALLING: Syracuse
MOVED TO AVOID PROCEDURAL PROBLEMS: First Four (trying to accommodate pods close to Dayton as well as creating Tuesday & Wednesday games based on the NCAAs past schedule for the First Four)
NEW TO THE BRACKET: None
LAST FOUR IN: Mississippi, Baylor, Saint Mary’s, Villanova
FIRST FOUR OUT: Boise State, Alabama, Arizona State, Maryland
The arrows show how a team is trending through the last few bracketology updates.
Make sure to check out: The Race for No. 1 seeds